Sunday, May 4, 2008

Busy

Busy? I am. I've got loads of things that I have to do. I usually know that I am becoming a slave to my work when I suddenly chance upon one of my hard bound books on my table untouched for weeks already. Like the one I started reading last January, Isabel Allende's Daughter of Fortune. I don't know if you read her but she's the author of the House of Spirits.
Daughter of Fortune is about Eliza Sommers, orphaned at birth. She is to fall in love with Joaquin, a lowly clerk as described by the summary. And she gets pregnant by Joaquin who decides to go work in San Francisco (they are from Chile). She follows him.
The novel starts with "Everyone is born with some special talent, and Eliza Sommers discovered early on that she had two: a good sense of smell and a good memory."
Of course, I still can't tell you what happens to Eliza in San Francisco. How she even decided to go there. How she met and fell in love with Joaquin. I am curious though if Isabel describes in one of the chapters in the novel a love scene. I envy writers who could vividly describe such scenes, you would think it's their scene they are engraving!
The book cover has a picture of a woman with short, boyish bobbed hair and a sharp look. Looking straight at me. She wears a pair of earrings with only the left in sight. She has her left arm angled at her waist. She wears a black long sleeved dress with lace patterns at each end of the sleeves. Embracing her neck is a pattern laced as well. And a golden pendant secures this lace in place. Her brows are trimmed. She just looks straight at me, as if asking intently and with urgency, when I will finish the book.
It's May now, and I still am at the book's first chapter.
I miss those days when I almost had all the time to read. I even remember bringing a book and reading it on a jeepney ride to work. But of late, time has been so elusive. And to think that I am only an instructor at a local university (read: UNDERPAID).
Once I get the chance, I'll devour every book I have yet to read! And I have over twenty in my shelf! Everytime I chance upon a book worth my while, I buy it, even if I don't have the time to read it yet. I encourage you to do the same.
Reading is bliss (when you are not busy).

2 comments:

Jessica said...

i overheard you asking your studs to read your blog. pati, $1.69 palang di tu adsense. hehehe mio, $6.something ya, and that's over a year in blogging, *sigh*

book worm eh! iyo daw tamen (si ndi duele mio ojos).

Ciriaco said...

hahaha! :D
poko pa lang mio adsense!!!