Monday, April 28, 2008

Thank you

I was watching the video streaming of UPLB's graduation ceremonies last Saturday. I saw a number of familiar faces receiving their diplomas in their togas, shaking the hands of the Chancellor and all. For a while there, I was excited. Probably because I miss UPLB, a lot. I miss my friends there. Then it hit me. A sudden pang of both desire and remorse. Desire because I wanted to be there, not as a member of the audience, but as part of the graduating class. Remorse because, I was not able to finish my thesis, my lone ticket to receiving that Master's degree I so desire. I wanted my net connection to lag if not be disconnected at once. But it didn't happen. And so I sat through it. Everyone was requested to stand up for UP Naming Mahal. I remember my undergrad graduation (April 26, 2001), the one time I sung the UP Naming Mahal with much fervor and emotion.
The fireworks that was displayed was spectacular! The traditional rally which used to be the highlight was overshadowed by the fireworks display, lighting in different colors and forms the dark, dark sky.
I think what happened next was nothing short of a cleenex moment. I had to get out, I had to do something. I went to Chinito's Camins where we usually have our fellowship. Interestingly enough, I was not in the mood for a drink. I was just there for like 30 minutes. We transferred to Catribo and sat comfortably at UL's. Still I wasn't in the mood for any drink.
I was searching for something I didn't know what.
Then there you were, in your black Adidas jacket, a pair of denim shorts and slippers. That was all I needed. You were all I needed to see to be comforted. You didn't even have to say anything. You didn't even have to see me.
I was suddenly craving for beer, had a pitcher of four seasons gin and two shots of margarita blue and a bottle of San Mig Light.
I went home, contented, feeling light but not wobbly.
I got inside my room. Turned off the lights, lied down on my bed and whispered, "thank you."

1 comment:

Mau said...

i share your sentiments..madalas ka pala umiinom gurl?..or malakas..