Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Commuting

Our professor in Criminal Law announced Monday night that we were to meet for three hours on Tuesday. Armed with the 21 Aggravating circumstances provided in Article XIV of the RPC, I went to class early. Don't worry, this is not about our class. He didn't meet us, after waiting for him for over an hour. So that was an unproductive night, a lazy night. I usually commute in going home. From school, I take a jeep to the pueblo. Once there, I'd take an 8-minute walk to the jeep terminal of Tumaga (this is where I live, Barangay Tumaga). I am usually with Eve and Shine (two of my closest buds in law school) gladly taking advantage of public transportation. The 8-minute walk includes a constant watch over our heads and shoulders. The electric wires in the pueblo are squatted by hundreds of birds. They line up in those wires, making them the elegant king-sized bed of Queen Marie Antoinette. We cover our mouths every time we laugh at something funny. Nobody wants bird-poop dropped in their mouths, fresh and warm! I wonder when these birds are going to leave the pueblo for good. From the looks of it, they don't have any plans of leaving. I also try to stay away from big crowds. It's almost fiesta, so bomb threats are flooding, literally. I think we had 3 in the last two months, explosions, not just threats. Reaching the terminal is a security blanket. Once there, I still am vigilant, constantly looking for unattended bags, both plastic and not. These days, we can never be too careful. Last night there was this girl in the jeep. She was so annoying. She was sitting beside her friend Ryan. You could see that she was flirting with him. She was wearing this dirty white baby tee, a pair of faded jeans and a pair of sneakers, a wanting imitation of chucks. She was thin, really thin. She had thick lips and big eyes. She was brown. And boy, was she bubbly! The kind that will suffocate you. Ryan was seated to her right. He just nodded to practically everything what this girl was saying. I was in front of them, by the way. Ryan was in a white polo with a faded undershirt, obviously a school uniform. A pair of slacks, which were obviously well ironed, and a pair of mudded black leather shoes. He had a growing mustache and a boyish smile. Astonishingly, he had perfect teeth and nice red lips, which made me conclude that he doesn't smoke. No wonder this girl was going gaga over him. Finally, we reached the girl's stop and she bid goodbye to Ryan and not hearing her, called out his name girlishly. That's it, good riddance. It seemed a relief more to me than to him. But Ryan didn't mind it at all. He never got annoyed with the girl. He smiled when he needed, nodded when their conversation called for it and laughed, quite unabashedly, when told a joke. For the record, I wasn't eavesdropping. He had chinky eyes and he was, well, handsome. Then my time came to bid him goodbye. We reached my stop. I felt like walking, so instead of taking the pedicab I indulged myself in taking that walk. It was a nice walk. Picture a full moon and star-filled and star-lit sky and you, basking under its romance. Hold on to that picture because last night there was no moon. Only two distant stars. It was cloudy. Cold. Sad. And lonely. (Picture courtesy of www.mightydacs98.blogspot.com)

4 comments:

Miong said...

"We cover our mouths every time we laugh at something funny. Nobody wants bird-poop dropped in their mouths, fresh and warm!" hehe bad experience? how unlucky naman ;p

dayeater said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
dayeater said...

Sir. Curious. Annoyed ba 'tu cay sobra gad de bubbly 'quel girl or cay ele el tan cuento cun Ryan? You know, like, "hey, hey, you, you, I don't like your girlfriend!" haha!

Pero, judging from the last line, "It was cloudy. Cold. Sad. And lonely." I think sabe ya 'yo which one. ^.^

Ciriaco said...

I wasn't bitter. But yes, that was a really sad walk. :(